October 03, 2024

 The Fuji Feather track bike and Formula hub

2 years ago I was looking for a fixed gear when I saw a used Fuji Feather track bike.

It was advertised as a single speed and I just assumed it will be easy for me to convert it to fixed gear.

I was wrong πŸ˜…

Apparently the fixed gear side of the hub is splined. It's my first time to see this type of mount. I then researched and learned that this splined mount is currently used in bike's disc brake system and is called 'centerlock'.

I didn't want to replace the hub to keep the bike as stock as possible.

So upon learning how it's called I was again positive that I can find the sprocket/cog for this hub.

I was wrong - again! πŸ˜‚

Took me some time to find 2 alternatives:

1. The disc hub from https://www.velosolo.co.uk/shopdisc.html that cost GBP35++ - sold from UK and ebay

2. The exact "formula" cog that is only sold in Indonesia - advertised as "Taiwan Formula Cog"

How crazy is that - a Japanesed bike with a hub from Taiwan that is only sold in Indonesia 😜

I alson sent an e-mail to Fuji (US) asking for the splined cog but they said it wasn't availble. Major disappointment :P

Based on the 2 available options - I decided to DIY my cog with a centerlock disc brake mount and a cog from a single speed conversion kit.

I painstakingly drilled 3 holes on a solid steel cog and hoped for the best that they will align on the 3 holes (of 6) on the centerlock adapter.

Long story short, I was able to build my cog.

Once, during a long ride - the bolts on the DIY cog loosened and I had to call for SOS so I can go back home πŸ˜† Stress and vibration can actually loosen bolts so learning from this, I put a considerable amount of thread locker on the 3 bolts. This solved the issue.

But I still desire for the splined cog on the hub which apparently was made by Formula(?): https://theradavist.com/formula-hubs-centerlock-spline-fixed-hub/.

I know people from Indonesia (office/work related) and I just hoped then that I can ask them to order for me online and wait for some people to travel JKT-MLA 😁

After 2+ years the wait was finally over and now my Formula hub is reunited w a Formula cog 😎


The DIY centerlock rotor adapter and drilled cog with the Formula cog (15T)

close-up

The Formula centerlock/spline hub

fits nicely


used a spare new lockring

let the lockring push the cog inside

installation complete





No comments:

Current Moon Phase

CURRENT MOON